Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Gluten Free Tater Tot Casserole

Over the past few months I have made this dinner several times.  I worked hard to figure out the making of it so that it is gluten free so the kiddo can eat it, however every time I make it, he tells me it is GROSS even though he has yet to actually eat it.  My husband and I think that it is delicious magic.


When we first went gluten free tater tots and "crispy crowns" were full of wheat so that they get crispier when you cook them.  Upon doing a lot of label reading I found that our local Kroger brand were gluten free.  We don't do too much snackish food like this, but every once in awhile it is a nice treat.  So if going gluten free with this recipe, be sure to check the label.  If not, then pick up whatever kind floats your boat.



The other big adjustment I make is doing my own white sauce.  Any recipe you check for this type of food tells you to use a cream of something soup.  I, personally, do not care for cream of something soup that much and it contains wheat.  You can get a few organic brands, but again, not really my favorite.  Below I am including my full recipe.  Keep in mind that you can use whatever if you aren't concerned about wheat.


White Sauce
3 Tablespoons butter or butter substitute - melted in a saucepan
3 Tablespoons gluten-free flour
Mix together in saucepan to form a paste

Whisk in 1 cup of milk or soy milk and 1/2 cup chicken broth (I use water and a tablespoon of Better than Bouillon - which is gluten free, regular bouillon is not.)
Let come to a low simmer and thicken, stir frequently.
Add some salt and pepper or garlic powder or salt.  You can also add a vegetable for flavor or added texture like mushrooms or celery.


Tater tot casserole
1lb Ground turkey or beef - browned
1 bag tater tots or crispy rounds
white sauce from above recipe
1 bag of frozen broccoli

Mix together and cook.  I like to make my casserole in the slow cooker on low for 3 to 4 hours, but you can also prepare and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.

Add cheese at the end or as a topping.  Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment