Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Apple Sloppy Joe's

Last night I made a twist on Sloppy Joe's or Messy Fred's as we call them.  I had a friend in college who always said that and it has stuck. 
I have been in a terrible dinner making rut.  I just feel so uninspired to cook.  I was looking through some recipes and was going to make a chicken with apples, but we only had one chicken breast.  I hear Costco calling our names.  I did have one thing of ground turkey and my mom had some Sloppy Joe's in the crock pot the other day and it had smelled amazing, so I went with it.  The apple idea from the chicken was already in my head so I combined them.

1 lb of ground turkey or beef
1 apple - chopped or minced - depending how chunky of a texture you want
1 cup of ketchup
3 T of spicy mustard
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 T cumin
1 T red chili powder
garlic salt to taste
1/4 cup apple juice

Brown meat in a saute pan.  Add apple and let saute on med heat to let the apple become soft for about five minutes.
Combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and mix together.  Pour over the top of the meat and let simmer for a couple of minutes.

The Sloppy Joe's turned out so sweet and good.  I really liked the added twist with the apple.  I added the apple juice as a last thought because everything seemed a little dry and it made a huge difference.  I also added some fresh dill from our garden and it was very yummy as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment