Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

New Work Station!



I don't have a technical sewing room or office.  We do have a guest room which houses all my mess most of the time, but I am hoping that space has a different purpose some day and want to get all my stuff out of there.  I am trying to get all the mess reorganized and moved into the storage room now that my amazing husband has build some awesome shelves.

I saw in a magazine awhile back ago about sewing spaces how a woman had a Hoosier Cabinet as her sewing space.  I have been scouring antique shops and Craig's List ever since.  I really liked the cabinet idea because is that it has doors in which you can shut away your mess. I also liked that a true Hoosier should have a work space that slides out when you need it and back when you don't, which is great for a workspace in the middle of the family room.  Finding a cabinet with the slide out work space was a lot harder than I thought it would be.  Most of them didn't have that function which is what I wanted most.

Counter pushed in
Counter pulled out

Finally, I found success on Craig's List and we packed up the fam and went to take a look.  The woman who owned the cabinet was super nice and had a cute house.  They were retiring and down sizing and she was wanting to de-clutter her life.  I understand the need for de-clutter completely.

I have been working slowly to get it organized exactly how I want it and moving all the other stuff into the storage room.  I will show that another time.





I love the door rack and that it has shelves inside the cabinets

Apparently this little secret drawer inside belongs to the kiddo.  I didn't know when I bought it, but it does!
Hoosier's were first created to give kitchens a good work space before we had all the counter room that we do now.  So part of most traditional Hoosier's were flour bins and sifters.  This one still has the bin and sifter intact.  They are really cool, although I don't really know what to do with the flour bin, so it kind of is a waste of space, but I like the tradition of it.



I will include a future post with it all decked out and ready to go.  Here's to non-traditional work spaces!  To be honest, I'm not sure I would even really want a sewing room as I kind of like to work in the middle of the fray.  I feel like I am part of the action and can easily meet the need of the kiddo.

No comments:

Post a Comment